Hey, it’s summer, and it’s grilling season! I wanted to put out some easy recipes to help you get out there and grill. I decided to do a series of 4 recipes for cooking America’s favorite fish – Salmon! Not only are the recipes different, but they’re all cooked on a different grill as well to help you get ideas for your next cookout. This first recipe in the Salmon Series (as I like to call it, lol) is Sesame seared salmon. I serve a variation on this recipe at one of my restaurants. Serve it with my easy sesame aioli along with rice and grilled veggies, and you’ll have a delicious summertime meal!
Sesame oil is my fave
I absolutely love toasted sesame oil. It is the best smelling oil out there in my opinion, and I love to cook with it. For this recipe, I’m going to lightly bread the salmon with a seasoned flour mixture, then cook it on a cast iron griddle with sesame oil.
How do I get my fish cooked properly on a griddle?
The only real complication from a grill with this will be the temperature. You really need a 2 zone fire with a griddle that will cover both parts (at least enough of it so you can have a hot griddle and a medium side.) If that’s not available, you can sear the salmon on the hot griddle, place in an aluminum pan, and put on a cooler spot on the grill and allow to cook until you’ve reached 145 degrees internal temperature.
Anyway, hope you enjoy!
The Salmon Series- Seared Sesame Salmon
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 people 1x
- 4 filets salmon (6–8 oz pieces)
- 1/2 cup a/p flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 TBS granulated garlic
- 1 TBS black sesame seeds
- 1 TBS kosher salt
- 1/2 TBS coarse ground black pepper
- In a small mixing bowl, add all breading ingredients and thoroughly mix. Remove salmon filets from packaging and lightly pat dry. Lightly sprinkle filets on all sides with breading and lightly pat to get it to adhere to filet. You want them breaded, but not a thick coating.
- Heat griddle up on grill. Pour sesame oil on grill and spread with spatula. Lay each filet on griddle and allow to cook for 2 minutes. Gently turn filet over and allow to cook another 2 minutes or until breading is set. Hold filet up on each side so all sides can get cooked. Temp salmon- if it is not at 145 degrees yet move it to a cooler part of the griddle until it gets to that temperature.
- Remove and serve with your favorite sauce and side items.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes