These beautiful Grilled Pickled Red Onions are the perfect accompaniment to any burger or sandwich. I just love the color and texture they bring to the party!
Grilled Pickled Red Onions are easy to make, but I love to take the flavor up a notch (as well as keeping the vinegar smell out of the house) by cooking these on a grill. You won’t grill them long enough to overcook them, but it will add just a little bit of char flavor that goes so well with these.
In addition to being great on burgers, I love to sprinkle them on many other dishes. Queso dip, enchiladas, tacos or even over chicken breasts. They’re very addictive! If you like them spicy, just add a serrano or jalapeño into the mix, or increase the cayenne.
- 1 medium red onions
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1.5 cups Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic lightly crushed
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper or to taste
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds lightly crushed
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- Cut onions in half lengthwise, leaving root intact. Remove peel. Lightly coat with olive oil and place on hot grill. Also to cook for 2-3 minutes until grill marked. Remove from grill and allow to cool.
- In a medium saucepan over a hot zone on the grill (or use the stove top) add vinegar, garlic, black pepper, cayenne, sugar, salt and cumin. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer while whisking to ensure sugar is dissolved.
- Slice red onion into very thin slices (julienne.) Add onion slices to vinegar mix and allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until onions are tender. Remove from heat.
- Using tongs, place onions in jars, then pour liquid over them. Store in fridge for up to 2 weeks.