Skirt steak is one of my favorite cuts. It grills quickly, accepts marinades well, and has a great beefy flavor. This recipe for carne asada skirt steak is so flavorful and delicious it will be in your regular rotation.
Types of Skirt Steak
First, let’s talk about skirt steak. There are two types, outside skirt and inside skirt steak. Most of what you will buy at your local market will be “inside” skirt. It is usually thinner and has less fat/silverskin on it. “Outside” skirt steak is usually slightly thicker, generally more tender, and more expensive. It has to be trimmed of silverskin. It also is nearly impossible to find in a grocery as most of it is exported or used in restaurants. Mishima Reserve is one of the few places where you can buy outside skirt steak. And, it’s American Wagyu Beef, so you know it will be delish! I recently got some and decided to make a fajita night special!
Marinading Carne Asada skirt steak
The quick marinade recipe for carne asada steak needs at least an hour to work its magic. The vinegar, orange and apple juices will help tenderize the meat as well as adding a delicious, fresh flavor. As the marinade is pretty acidic, you don’t want this to be a long marination time. One hour to four hours is prime flavor territory.
Grilling Carne Asada Skirt Steak
Skirt steak of any variety is going to be relatively thin. And, as it’s best-served medium-rare, you will want to cook it on a very hot grill. The total cooking time was less than 8 minutes. Use an instant-read thermometer and pull the steak when it’s at 120 degrees. With a four to five minute rest, you’ll be right at medium rare when you slice it. Speaking of slicing skirt steak you’ll want to cut it against the grain.
As always, I hope you enjoy!
Note- I am a paid ambassador for Mishima Reserve Beef. However, all recipes and opinions are my own.Print
Carne Asada Skirt Steak
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 people 1x
This easy recipe for amazing carne asada skirt steak will have you craving fajitas every day of the week!
- 1 lb Skirt Steak
- 1 TBS Melissa's Garlic Blend Seasoning (or your favorite season-all)
- 2 cups sauteed onions and peppers
- 8 flour tortillas
- guacamole (if desired)
- pico de gallo (if desired)
- sour cream or crema (if desired)
- cotilla or your favorite cheese (if desired)
- 2 TBS Olive oil
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 TBD diced onion
- 2 TBS lime juice
- 2 TBS cider vinegar
- 2 TBS Chopped cilantro
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- Add all marinade ingredients to a resealable plastic bag, then add skirt steak. Press out air and massage the marinade into the steak for a minute, then refrigerate for 1 to 4 hours.
- Fire up the Grill! You want it hot!
- remove steak from marinade and lightly pat dry. Season with Garlic Blend or your favorite season all.
- Quickly grill steak. Skirt steak is thin, and is best served medium rare. Remove steak from grill whe it hits 120 degrees and let rest for 4-5 minutes. While steak is resting, grill tortillas. Serve with your favorite accompaniments.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: carne, carne asada, grilled recipes, grilled steaks, skirt steak
Tried and was awesome!! I am a steak lover so I’m hard to be disappointed!!
Absolutely delicious!! I did not have fresh cilantro on-hand, so I substituted 1 Tbsp of dry cilantro leaves and it worked fine.
This was incredibly tasty and so easy!! It’s a keeper for sure!
Thank you so much!
The flavors were amazing. Love the marinade. I used 2 searing hot cast iron skillets for the steak. A real hit with my family.
Comments are closed.