Chicken salad has long been a mainstay of the “church social” in the South, and for good reason. It’s just delicious! This version of Super chicken salad is so refreshing and delicious, you’ll be making it a lunchtime favorite.
Super Chicken Salad Recipe
What makes this super? Well, it just tastes fresh. With fresh grapes and walnuts (or pecans if you prefer) this super chicken salad has more flavor sensations than the normal bland chicken salad you learned to hate. I almost never cook chicken for this specifically. Generally, I use smoked chicken, which adds an even better flavor. If I’m smoking chicken, I’ll just add some extra, then pull the meat for use in chicken salad. A rotisserie chicken from the grocery is also a great choice to make this super easy.
Pulled or chopped Chicken?
Well, that really depends on your preference. I really prefer my chicken to have a moist, soft texture. So, I really prefer the texture of a smoked chicken to one that has been boiled or baked. I just feel you keep more moisture and the chicken is allowed to develop a better texture when it is not fast cooked. I always pull the chicken for my chicken salad, but in smaller pieces. As always, you are in charge, so do this how you will love it.
As always, I hope you enjoy!
- 1 lb pulled chicken
- 1 cup mayo
- 1 cup halved seedless grapes
- 1/3 cup finely diced celery
- 1/2 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1/4 cup finely diced white onion
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
- 3/4 tsp coarse ground black pepper, or to taste
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients.
- Place in fridge for 30 minutes to allow flavors to meld.
- serve as sandwiches, scoop on a mixed green or tomato salad, or enjoy with crackers.