- 4 Hatch or anaheim chiles
- 1 jalapeno or serrano (if desired for heat)
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp coarse ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground coriander
- 2 TBS chopped yellow onion
- 1 TBS minced garlic
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- Over an open flame, roast all peppers. Place in a small container or paper bag and seal. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Wearing gloves, remove peppers from bag and peel off skin from peppers (I usually do under running water.) Remove stems and seeds from peppers and roughly chop.
- Heat oil in a small stock pot. Add onions and garlic and cook 3-4 minutes, or until fragrant and beginning to turn translucent.
- Add peppers, chicken stock, salt, pepper, coriander and cumin. bring to a quick boil then immediately reduce to a simmer. Allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- using an immersion blender or food processor, lightly pulse until a more sauce like consistency is achieved, but leave somewhat “chunky.”